In addition to psychotherapy, dad classes, and group coaching, our therapists are involved in psychological research. A selected list of our therapists’ projects and publications are included below.
Research & Publications
Men and Fatherhood Research & Publications
- Singley, D.B. (2007). Basic Training for New Dads: The Cord’s Cut, Now What? The San Diego Psychologist, 2,2.
- Singley, D.B., Cole, B.P., Hammer, J., Molloy, S., Rowell, A., Isacco, A.J. (2017). Development and Psychometric Evaluation of the Paternal Involvement with Infants Scale. Psychology of Men & Masculinity,
Singley, D.B. & Edwards, L. (2017). Perinatal Mental Health in Military Fathers. The Handbook of Perinatal Mental Health and the Military Family. (Ed. Thiam, M.). Taylor & Francis, New York NY.
Singley, D.B. & Edwards, L. (2015). Men’s Perinatal Mental Health in the Transition to Fatherhood. Professional Psychology Research and Practice, (46)5, 309-316.
Singley, D.B. & Cole, B.P. (2014) Beyond Vader: A Strengths-Based Approach to Fatherhood. Positive Psychology Theory and Application, 2(1). 16-19.
Singley, D.B. (2014). And Daddy Makes Three: Spotlight on Men’s Peripartum Mental Health. International Journal of Childbirth Education, 30 (1). 19-24.
Singley, D.B. (2014). Men’s peripartum mental health -Yes, it actually exists. The California Psychologist, 47 (4), 20-22.
Gregerson, M., Singley, D.B., Nisenbaum, S. (2014). Designing media programs for military new fathers to facilitate synchronous family systems. The Amplifier, official news magazine (e-zine) of the American Psychological Association Division 46 Society for Media Psychology and Technology.
Singley, D.B. (2014). Men’s Peripartum Mental Health: Issues and Interventions. Children Youth and Families, official newsletter of the American Psychological Association.
Singley, D.B. (2014). Men’s Peripartum Mental Health during the Transition to New Fatherhood. The San Diego Psychologist, 11, 1.
Singley, D.B. (2012). Toward a Whole-Family Perspective on Reproductive Mental Health: Paternal Postpartum Depression. The San Diego Psychologist, 9,2.
- Singley, D.B., Jones, J., & Lazar, J. (2008) Looking for Love in all the Wrong Chatrooms: Men, Intimacy, and Technology. The San Diego Psychologist, 3,1.
Mindfulness Research & Publications
- Atreya, C. E., Kubo, A., Borno, H. T., Rosenthal, B., Campanella, M., Rettger, J. P. & Dhruva, A. (2018). Being Present: A single-arm feasibility study of audio-based mindfulness meditation for colorectal cancer patients and caregivers. PloS one, 13(7), e0199423.
- Rettger, J., Wall, K., Corwin, D., Davidson, A. N., Lukoff, D., & Koopman, C. (2015). In Psycho-Spiritual Integrative Therapy for Women with Primary Breast Cancer, What Factors Account for the Benefits? Insights from a Multiple Case Analysis. In Healthcare (Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 263-283). Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute.
Psychophysiology Research & Publications
- Marquez, J., Ray, D., Lilliston-Gammon, T., Gutman, K., Wildgoose, T., Dawson, B.,… Gevirtz, R. (2014). Vagal recovery in healthy adults: A normative data study. Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback, 39(3-4), 316.
- Huntley, C., Stern, M., Grampp, L., Marquez, J., Keeran, K., Curci, W., & Gevirtz, R. (March, 2015). Association between trait anxiety, vagal tone, withdrawal, and recovery. Poster presented at the Association for Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback Annual Meeting, Austin, Texas.
- Stern, M., Grampp, L., Huntley, C., Marquez, J., Keeran, K., Wildgoose, T., Curci, W., & Gevirtz, R. (March, 2015). Relationship between cognitive performance and vagal functioning. Poster presented at the Association for Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback Annual Meeting, Austin, Texas.
Trauma & Post Traumatic Growth Research
- Rettger, J. P. (2018). Mindfulness & Yoga. In V. G. Carrión, (Ed.). Assessing and Treating Youth Exposed to Traumatic Stress. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Pub.
- Rettger, J., Kletter, H., & Carrion, V. (2016). Trauma and Acculturative Stress. In S. Patel & D. Reicherter (Eds.), Psychotherapy for immigrant youth. New York: Springer.
- Carrion, V. G., Kletter, H., Weems, C. F., Berry, R. R., & Rettger, J. P. (2013). Cue‐Centered Treatment for Youth Exposed to Interpersonal Violence: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of traumatic stress, 26(6), 654-662.
Academic and E-Learning Research
- Singley, D.B., and Hurst, C.H. (2011). Comparing E-Learning, Tele-Classes, and Live Trainings: An Analysis of Cost and Training Effectiveness [White paper developed for Essential Learning, LLC].
- Singley, D.B., Lent, R.W., & Sheu, H.B. (2010). Fostering academic engagement and performance over time: A longitudinal model of social cognitive well-being. Journal of Career Assessment, 18, 133-146.
- Lent, R.W., Taveira, M., Sheu, H., & Singley, D.B. (2009). Social cognitive predictors of academic adjustment and life satisfaction in Portuguese college students: A longitudinal analysis. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 74, 190-198.
- Lent, R.W., Sheu, H.B., Singley, D.B., Schmidt, J., Schmidt, L.C., & Gloster, C. (2008). Longitudinal relations of self-efficacy to outcome expectations, interests, and major choice goals in engineering students. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 2, 328-335.
- Lent, R.W., Singley, D.B., Sheu, H.B., Schmidt, J., & Schmidt, L. (2007). Test of a social cognitive model of academic satisfaction in engineering students. Journal of Career Assessment 15, 1 1-11.
Race & Gender Research
- Singley, D.B. & Sedlacek, W.E. (2009). Differences in Universal-Diverse Orientation by Race and Gender. Journal of Counseling and Development, 4, 404-411.